From what I gather, Cornell University and the FDA are performing studies on the cause of the poisoning. At first, it was believed that rat poison accidentally contaminated the wheat gluten. After dissecting cats and dogs that have died from eating the contaminated food, the hypothesis is melamine, a substance used in plastics production that includes counter tops. A small amount was found in the liver. More info will be syndicated shortly on their findings, I am sure. The wheat gluten that was contaminated came from China. If anyone has more to offer, please post your comments. For the treatment of melamine poisoning, please consult your vet. Fluid therapy is recommended.